Victims of last week’s Barcelona terror attacks were honored at a solemn Mass in the city Sunday, as the hunt continued for a suspect in the deadly assault.
Thousands of people — including King Felipe and Queen Letizia of Spain — turned out to celebrate Mass at Barcelona’s iconic Sagrada Familia Basilica.
Auxiliary Bishop Sebastia Taltavull prayed for the more than 100 people injured when a van plowed into a crowd on Las Ramblas, a stretch at the heart of the city popular with tourists. That attack killed 13 people, and another person was killed in a similar attack hours later further south on Spain’s Mediterranean coast.
The bishop also prayed for peace and coexistence at the service, which was said in both Spanish and Catalan inside the massive church designed by Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí.
At least 13 dead in Barcelona van attack claimed by ISIS
Officials continued the manhunt for Younes Abouyaaqoub, 22, who is believed to have been behind the wheel of the van in Barcelona.
Catalonia’s Chief of Police Josep Lluis Trapero said it was possible the suspect had crossed the border into France.
“We don’t have any specific information on this but it cannot be ruled out,” he said at a press conference in Barcelona, according to NPR, adding border checks had been bolstered right after the killings.
Cops believe there were a dozen members in the cell behind the attacks, mostly born in Morocco, Trapero said. None of them had previous known links to terrorism.
A house explosion caused by a faulty bomb in Alcanar may have killed Muslim cleric Abdelbaki Es Satty, who is believed to have recruited members of the cell.
“Our thesis is that the group had planned one or more attacks with explosives in the city of Barcelona,” Trapero told reporters, according to NPR.
With News Wire Services
Send a Letter to the Editor