Mets SS prospect Amed Rosario tweets (then deletes) proposal

Amed Rosario is growing impatient.

The star Mets shortstop prospect — whom many fans have been clamoring to see in the majors for much of this disappointing season — made a plea to the franchise brass on Twitter Friday afternoon. 

“On my knees and I Just want to propose to Queens — NY that is,” Rosario tweeted along with a picture of him kneeling during the Futures Game at the All-Star festivities earlier this week in Miami. “AR = Amed is Ready #Facts #DontBeSurprisedBeReady..” 

The tweet, which was deleted about an hour later, also included an emoji of a man running with a flame behind him, as well as a gorilla emoji. 

Mets GM knows playoffs long shot, but team not in rebuilding mode

Rosario entered Friday hitting .327 with seven homers, 52 RBI, 16 steals and an .839 OPS in 83 games for Triple-A Las Vegas this season. 

Yet even with Jose Reyes’ offensive struggles for much of 2017, the Mets have been reluctant to call up Rosario. And that approach isn’t changing. 

While Sandy Alderson said Friday “it’s a possibility” both Rosario and first baseman prospect Dominic Smith could join the Mets before September, the general manager wants both players to remain out West for the foreseeable future — despite the Mets’ season being on life support. 

Even after a 14-2 drubbing of Rockies Friday night at Citi Field, the Mets remain 12.5 games back of the Nationals in the N.L. East and 9.5 back of Colorado in the wild card. 

Smith is hitting .331 with 12 homers and 58 RBI at Triple-A this season. 

“We want Rosario, we want Smith to come up under the best possible circumstances, and right now, we think the best thing for both of them is to continue to play at Las Vegas until the situation here clarifies one way or the other,” Alderson said “Either we’re back in the race and everybody’s clicking on all cylinders, or we’re not, and we make some other decisions. But right now, I just don’t think it’s the right time.”

No more than 7 images from any single MLB game, workout, activity or event may be used (including online and on apps) while that game, activity or event is in progress.

Sandy Alderson that while it’s possible the Mets could call up one or both of Dominic Smith and Amed Rosario before September, a move for either doesn’t appear imminent.

(Joe Robbins/Getty Images)

Added Alderson: “I understand everybody wants to see Rosario in a Mets uniform. So do I.” 

Smith’s situation is different than Rosario’s because of Lucas Duda, who’s posted an OPS close to .900 in 62 games as the Mets’ starting first baseman this season. 

Reyes is currently manning shortstop and continued his hot streak at the plate Friday night, going 3-for-5 with a double and an RBI. He’s now hitting .386 since June 25. 

But the 34-year-old still only sports a .221 average on the season and doesn’t provide the same type of defense or range as Rosario. 

Nonetheless, Alderson points to Reyes’ turnaround as part of the equation in determining when to call Rosario up. 

“A promotion is in part a function of how well those promoted players are doing themselves and part of it has to do with the situation that exists at the major-league level,” Alderson said. “So when we think that those two conditions are merging or mutually beneficial, that’s when they’ll come up.” 

Both Duda and Reyes will be free agents after this season. 

“You bring up the question of the clubhouse and playing time for everybody,” Alderson said. “Everybody has personal as well as collective goals, and those things all come into play.”  

Tags:
mlb
new york mets
amed rosario

Send a Letter to the Editor

Join the Conversation:
facebook
Tweet

Sports Rss