I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
Margaret Atwood attempted to defend her controversial comments that 9/11 terrorists were inspired by “Star Wars,” but seemed to only dig herself into a deeper hole.
The author of “The Handmaid’s Tale” addressed the remarks at the Variety Power of Women event on Friday night when she worked to explain past comments she told the mag that Al Qaeda “hired a bunch of Hollywood screenwriters to tell them how the story might go next” on 9/11.
“So, flying a vehicle into a target to blow it up, okay? Star Wars is fiction so he gets out, but Japanese World War II kamikaze pilots did the same thing, so it’s not a new thing and it’s not an original thought with me,” Atwood said on Friday from the red carpet, according to Variety.
“I just thought people already knew that, but I guess some people are so young that they forgot about that.”
The 78-year-old Canadian writer faced backlash over the remarks last week, which were said in an interview with Variety.
“Remember the first one? Two guys fly a plane in the middle of something and blow that up? The only difference is, in ‘Star Wars,’ they get away. Right after 9/11, they hired a bunch of Hollywood screenwriters to tell them how the story might go next,” Atwood said.
“Sci-fi writers are very good at this stuff, anticipating future events. They don’t all come true, but there are interesting ‘what if’ scenarios,” she continued.
The Hulu series “Handmaid’s Tale,” which Atwood serves as an executive producer and is based on Atwood’s book, returns for a second season on April 26.