As President Trump trades barbs with North Korea over the country’s nuclear capabilities it has become increasingly difficult to tell the rhetoric apart.
Trump has vowed to rain down “fire and fury” upon the socialist nation, while North Korean officials promised the U.S. “suffer a shameful defeat and final doom.”
The similarities between Trump’s blunt style and that of North Korea’s young dictator Kim Jong Un actually pre-date the recent nuclear-tipped sabre-rattling.
Below is a list of statements, see if you can figure out which bombastic leader is behind each one.
Trump: ‘Fire and fury’ statement on North Korea wasn’t enough
1. “Construction is an important front for solidifying the foundations of a thriving country and creating bases for people’s happy life.”
2. “We can’t let a madman with nuclear weapons on the loose like that. We have a lot of firepower.”
3. “The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.”
4. “The days are gone forever when our enemies could blackmail us with nuclear bombs.”
North Korean general says Trump is ‘senile,’ golfs too much
5. “I will have a military that’s so strong and powerful, and so respected, we’re not gonna have to nuke anybody.”
6. “We should raise fierce flames of innovations in the vanguard sectors, basic industrial sectors, and all other sectors of the national economy.”
7. “My goal is always again to bring people together. But if I’m forced to fight for something I really care about, I will never, ever back down and our country will never, ever back down.”
8. “The industrial revolution in the new century is, in essence, a scientific and technological revolution, and breaking through the cutting edge is a shortcut to the building of an economic giant.”
9. “I think I’ve made a lot of sacrifices. I work very, very hard. I’ve created thousands and thousands of jobs, tens of thousands of jobs, built great structures. I’ve had tremendous success.”
10. “We’ve made other countries rich while the wealth, strength, and confidence of our country has disappeared over the horizon.”
Here is the answer key:
A. Donald Trump
B. Kim Jong Un
1. B; 2. A; 3. B; 4. B; 5. A; 6. B; 7. A; 8. B; 9. A; 10. A
Send a Letter to the Editor